Translate

Friday, December 12, 2014

Science Fantasy Short Story {Reaper: Chapter Six Part Two}

In the future, where man has traveled to the stars and beyond, there exists guilds with special abilities. Two such guilds are the guild of assassins and the guild of mages. Their laws prevent them from working together. Reaper is the story of two members of the guilds, who ignored their laws and who fight for the greater good.
Genre: Science Fantasy Romance
 

Bomba adjusted the controls on the monitor. The main screen presented a bird’s eye view of the city. She pulled far enough away to see the Mage ship Martha and Hotel Miscavania. She released them, somewhat frustrated. “Why can’t I get a split screen?”

“The power diverted to the nanites you flooded the atmosphere with, isn’t enough to provide an ample signal for a split screen.”

“Martha, strengthen the receiver.”

“That would increase our chance of detection,” Martha said. “As it stands, the signals are optimal.”

“Fine. Help me with his room.” She stood up and walked over to the far wall, where Zion had once sat.

“The bedding has already been modified.”

Bomba grabbed a handle and pulled out a bed. She looked it over. “Good job,” Bomba said. “This looks so comfortable, I may go to sleep.”  She stepped back. “I would like a wall here. So he can have his privacy. He will have to walk past the tank to use the lavatory. But outside of that, he should be comfortable. And we can build a room over there for—”

“The additions you wish to add or against regulations.”

“No one has to know.”

“I am a mage ship, mistress.” An image of Martha appeared next to Bomba. “You named me and I have known you since I came online. But I am programmed to serve the guild first.”

“Yes, you are right.”

“Perhaps your time with Zion has clouded your judgment.”

“No. My mind is crystal clear.” She walked away from the bed. “Build the wall and put in stands for his plants.” She opened the rejuvenation tank. “Is he almost ready?” A bell sounded and the screen switched. Bomba stared at the screen. Zion sat on his bed, reaping the fruit from the bullet tree. The second plant had turned to a green rose with a red stem. “Oh, so Celeste has finally come out.”

“May I add that it is highly suspect that he refers to his plant by name? He has played music for it. Ancient earth music.”

“Well, we all have our hobbies. Besides, he is a Terran. I believe that all chloroman have an affinity for plant life?” She stepped into the tank.

“It is only true for the chloroman who have lived for a century or more.”

“Hmmm.” The tank closed. “Please tell him to be ready to leave in five minutes.” She closed her eyes. She felt her heart slow down, muscles relax and mind drift. When she opened her eyes, she stood in the room on the opposite side of the bed from Zion.

Zion pulled his red shirt down and tucked it carefully in his pants. “That is hardly five minutes.”

She turned around. “I sometimes miscalculate the mind transfer.”

“You can turn around. I was mostly dressed when you popped in.”

She turned back around. “My apologies, I will try to do a better next time.”

“It’s no problem.” He turned to the plant. “It’s time to take a nap now.”

The rose straightened and then curved away.

“I promise that I will take you to a place with plenty of water and sunshine.”

The rose seemed to fold its leaves and then dive into the dirt.

“How did you get it to do that?” Bomba asked.

“Do what?”

“Move when you speak to it.”

Zion shrugged. “Celeste doesn’t do anything she doesn’t want to do.” He stuck his hand in the dirt and felt around. “So, you are going with the holograph again?”

“This ensures my safety. After all, there is a bounty on my head.”

He pulled out a green shiny stone, with strings attached. He tied the necklace around his neck. “You don’t have to worry about safety when you are with me.”

Bomba rolled her eyes. “Excuse me, if I don’t feel particularly safe when you walk around weaponless.”

Zion placed his gunmetal wristbands on. “I am never weaponless.” He placed the hat on his head. “And now I am ready.”

“No coat? No cloak?”

His hands disappeared into his black pants pocket. “It’s too hot for that.”

The two of them walked out the front door of the hotel for the first time since their arrival. There was no need to hide their identities. They would be gone before sundown. The two of them walked down the street side by side. It wasn’t often that she experienced a walk in a busy street and in many ways she wasn’t. She could see what her holographic clone could see. Hear also. But there was no feeling of warmth. When she brushed against Zion, she was aware, but it was hardly the quickening of the heart that she normally felt. A wave of shame fell on her. A disgust that he could read her and tell her what she wanted. A strong desire to hit him with a bolt of electricity welled in her heart a desire that was stopped by Zion pulling her into an alley. “What’s—”

Zion’s hand snapped faster than sight could register. It was only the other information her clone gave her that allowed her to realize what was going on. A beam ricocheted off his metallic wristband and pierced a trash can. “Sniper. Quarter of a mile.”

“That’s all well and good. But I am just a hologram. You really don’t need to protect me.”

“He will probably change positions.” Zion reached down for his absent gun. “Right. On the ship.”

“Point them out and I will find them.”

He pointed at a building with a needle-point top. “There is the best place for that shot. But don’t bother going after them.”

“Why not?”

“This is a pro’s pro.”

“How good can they be? We and by we, I mean you, are still alive. And if they are that good, shouldn’t we look for a, I don’t know, safe hiding place?”

“I didn’t sense a kill intent,” Zion said. “Only the best can hide that. After seeing my laser deflection stunt they realize that sniping is useless against me. If they attack again, it won’t be with a sniper’s laser rifle and it won’t be so far away.”

“We don’t have time for this.” She grabbed Zion and formed a disc under him. The two of them flew up. “I have the entire city under-surveillance. Where ever he is, we will get him. She looked down at his waist. “You stay behind me.”

“You bombarded the atmosphere with nanites, didn’t you?”

“Yeah. Wait, I can’t find anything.”

“The attacker shot at you, probably saw you as the biggest threat. They would expect a techno-witch to do something like that.”

She slowed their ascent. “So, if you are so smart, where is this assassin now?”

“Hiding, unwilling to give away his position.”

Bomba saw a blue speck in the distance that grew larger with each past moment. “What is that?”

“Or, they can fire on us with a…DNA seeking missile.”

“Crud!” Bomba flew in the opposite direction.

“I guess it has latched on to me. Can’t you blow it up?”

“No. My clones don’t have that kind of strength and by the time I disengage and make it here, you will be blown to bits.”

“Yes. That would be bad.”

 

When you get a chance, check out may current novel below:

You can buy my adult scifi novel Hearteless: A Journey to Second Earth @amazon or here.
 
 
Also, feel free to comment below and follow me on Google and Twitter @ Frank_D_Rogers


 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment