Translate

Friday, December 5, 2014

Science Fantasy Short Story {Reaper: Chapter Six Part One}

In the future, where man has traveled to the stars and beyond, there exists guilds with special abilities. Two such guilds are the guild of assassins and the guild of mages. Their laws prevent them from working together. Reaper is the story of two members of the guilds, who ignored their laws and who fight for the greater good.
Genre: Science Fantasy Romance
 

Bomba sat in the bathroom trying to decide what to do. Knowing that he looked at her in that way, stirred feelings in her that she didn’t know how to deal with. But what choice did she have? She needed him…wanted him. She needed to keep their relationship intact. She stood up and steeled her nerves. She opened the door to find Zion, dressed in workout clothing standing in a pose. His leg to the side. His hand holding his revolver parallel to his leg. His other hand occupied with the other revolver held close to his body. He was perfectly still. Holding the pose for far too long for her comfort. She moved to her own bed sat down and crossed her legs. After a while, he started moving. He fought invisible enemies at a speed so slow that it seemed painful.

Bomba  raised a shield in front of herself. Creating one above, below, behind and either side, creating a cube of energy to protect her from an errant shot.  She placed herself in a meditative trance, pushing her limits to hold the shield for as long as possible. When he was finally done, he was dripping in sweat.  She fared no better and nearly collapsed when she finally released the shield.

He turned to her as if he hadn’t noticed her there. “Bomba. Were you meditating?”

“Yes.”

He sat down on his bed and stared at her. “So what were you meditating about?”

“Well, it wasn’t you.”

“Of course not, I doubt if any of you Tek Nok meditate on anything enjoyable. I suspect that you meditate on a single point and contemplate how to fit the entire universe inside of it.”

Bomba scoffed. “That’s ridiculous. We mediatate on our tech. We control the energy flow. With control comes power. With enough control you can create realistic illusions or full energy constructs.” She clapped her hands and pulled them apart revealing a statue of Zion.

He grabbed the statue in his hand and held it. “Ah.” He nodded knowingly. “Then what you are doing is no different than a warrior.”

“How? We do not require any movement in our meditation.”

“Neither does the warriors guild.” The little statue burst into bits and pieces of energy. “But the moving meditation works well with Gunchi. But we believe in supreme control as well. Control of our bio-electric energy. I have never really understood the point of that one and my dad didn’t care for it either. We also believe in control of all of our senses. And control of our bodily functions. I can use adrenaline to increase my strength, speed and reflexes. Or manipulate my suprachiasmatic nucleus to induce even more speed.”

“That sounds dangerous.”

“Well, yes done for too long, it can kill you. But I am sure that the same is true for you.”

“It is possible.”

He nodded. “We should train together.”

“What?”

“Don’t worry, I am not going to try and shoot you…again. We are going into a very dangerous situation. We need to go in with some team skills.”

“I agree with you. But I have been thinking.” She looked down to her hands. “I think that I should return to my ship.”

He rubbed his chin. “That could work perfectly.”

“Really?”

“Yes. You can be my eyes and ears, while I gather information.”

“I intend to be with you while you are gathering information. I just need to sleep in my tank periodically.”

Zion sighed. “Look, I know that is not true, just like I know that whomever we are going to walk through hell to save is more than just a teammate. Probably doesn’t have anything to do with the war with the Kainians and isn’t sanctioned by anyone. I get it. I made you feel uncomfortable. You can just tell me.”

“I am not uncomfortable.”

“Despite your training, your body language is clear. The more you try to hide it the more obvious it becomes.”

She studied him for a moment. “If that is true. Why are you still here?”

He shrugged. “I haven’t had this much fun in years. Besides, I am honor bound to fulfill Kiyah’s dying wish. He wanted to help you, so I figured I might as well.”

“I—I wish that I could tell you everything. But the less you know the better.”

“Did Kiyah know what you were really after?”   

“No. Not until he was dying. That was when he told me that I was right to keep it from him and that you would help me if it were a request from him. But he also told me that I mustn’t tell you either.” Zion walked over to the work desk and began disassembling the guns. In seconds, the rail guns lay on the table in small parts. He reached into the bag and pulled out more small parts. “Are you angry with me?” Bomba asked.

“No.”

“I promise, I will tell you everything, eventually.”

“Wait before you go back to the ship. Once, I finish repairing my weapons, and calibrating this personal shield. I want to take it to the ship and store it somewhere.”

“I will reconfigure the ship so that you will have your own personal space. But it would be better if you entered the secondary tank.”

“I don’t like coffins,” Zion said.

End of Part One of Chapter Six.
 

When you get a chance, check out may current novels below:

You can buy my adult scifi novel Hearteless: A Journey to Second Earth @amazon or here.
 
 
Also, feel free to comment below and follow me on Google and Twitter @ Frank_D_Rogers


 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment