Translate

Friday, May 2, 2014

Short Story Team Savant: Egg-napped {Chapter 1 of 4}





A shy stutterer became friends with a narcoleptic girl, a telepath that looks surprisingly like the Roswell alien, a guy with three eyes, a water breathing princess with blue skin and a girl who can split herself into three people. From that day forward, he became Savant, the boy with a saber tooth tiger in his head. He along with his friends are Team Savant, the greatest cadet action team in the known universe.To read the previous story arc click Here and read the previous Savant Short Story.  
 


Katra adjusted the smart tablet, pulling it close to her face and then pulling it away. “Can you see me?”


Nathaniel folded his arms. “Yes, but you can’t really hear me can you?”


“I think I am doing this right. Where are the stupid buttons on this thing?”


“You have to swipe,” Nathaniel said.


“Why are you giving instructions when she clearly can’t hear you?” Angela asked.


He turned around and shrugged. “I feel bad for her. She tries so hard to catch up with Union tech.”


“Didn’t it come with instructions?”


“Yes, but they focused on assembly and not usage.” He turned around and faced the screen.


Katra finally swiped the screen. “Ha! I see you. Can you hear me?”


“Yes.” Nathaniel put his hands behind his back.


“Boss, I have news!”


“You don’t need to call me boss.”


“I am on your payroll… Okay, Nate, I think I have found a mutant.”


“We prefer advanced human.”


“Sorry.”


“Where is she?”


“She is in San Antonio, her name is Mendoza and she is in the fifth grade.”


“Fifth grade…too young.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “Transfer her to Central.”


“What is my time table?”


“As soon as possible without disrupting her family life…too much. I think a two year window is best.”


“Gotcha.”


“Take care Katra. I will be away for a while on this current mission.”


“Mission? But you are wearing an earth dress suit. You look like you just got out of church.”


“Well, thanks to you. I have to fulfill my duties as diplomat of Earth by being a diplomat to the entire sector.” He splayed his hands out. “And so I am wearing this. Did you know that there are two colonies on Venus?”


“No, I didn’t. Sorry to put so much on you.”


“It’s not a problem.  I have seven colonies and one planet to look after.”


“And I get to be his assistant,” Angela said as she removed a stray blond hair from her forehead.


“You are not my assistant.”


“What would you call it?” Angela said.


“You are like another diplomat. I can’t handle this alone. This is a two diplomat job.”


“You got the title and you get all of the perks. I even heard that they raised your pay.”


“Well yes, but I have requested that they raise yours too.”


Angela folded her arms. “Thanks.”


Nathaniel turned to the screen. “Sorry for holding you, Katra.”


“It’s not a problem,” she said with a smile. “You guys are better than a soap opera.” She pressed the screen. “See you later.”


“See you later.”


“Talk to you later, Kat,” Angela said.


The screen blinked and a red planet loomed ahead. Angela who was also dressed in formal wear, stared ahead. Her outfit nearly matched Nathaniel’s. The only difference was that she had on an incredibly short pleated skirt and thick black tights.


Angela moved to the Captain’s chair. “I guess, since we are not acting as cadets and we are co-diplomats,” she said using air quotes. “You wouldn't mind me sitting in your chair.”


Nathaniel quickly looked away; thoughts of Isis welled up in his mind. He missed her, if only he had the courage to tell her…


“I knew it! It just kills you to see me sitting in your chair.”


“N—no, that is not it,” he said.


“Of course it is. You have to always be in control.”


He sharply turned to her. “How can you say that? You have known me longer than anyone in Union…outside of Kagome’. He held his tongue and turned away.


High heeled shoes drummed the metallic floor and in a moment her hand caressed his shoulder. “Chill, Nate. I am just teasing you. Normally you are good for a laugh but you are wound tighter than a spring. Why are you so worked up? Is Tiger Boy causing trouble?”


“No, Deragon is buried so deep in my psyche, I can’t hear him.” He shrugged. “I guess I am nervous.”


She moved her hand up to his neck and gave a slight squeeze. “I am too. This is our first mission without the others. I wish Isis, Jon and Zorn was here. Together we are unbeatable.”


He smiled. “Yes. It would be nice.”


She removed her hand and moved back to the Captain’s seat. “So is that why you are on edge? Because you are not sure we can accomplish the mission—just the two of us?”


He shook his head. “No. Sorry, I didn’t mean to weird you out. I never wanted anything to do with politics…ever. In my mind, I keep calling this a mission.”


“Mission? Good, let’s talk about the mission parameters.”


“Okay.” He sat in the First officer’s chair. “Computer, bring up the colonies of Venus,” he said.


A split screen of two aliens appeared. The Cuetations and Bullyons. The Cuetation looked like a human toddler with grown-up size feet, while the Bullyons looked like giants with incredibly small feet.”


“How do they even walk?”


“Quite well,” Nathaniel said.


“And this is a meet and greet?”


“On the surface.”


“On the surface? Are you serious? So we really have a side mission and I don’t even know about it?”


“No, it’s not like that. We meet and greet, but we observe too. We have to learn about the politics of the people. They are not really part of Union, just refugees of the war given permission to live here.”


“Is it a permanent settlement?”


“Actually, that’s for us to decide. As the only human’s in Union they leave any minor decision involving earth up to us.”


“How is this minor?”


He shrugged. “Heck, I don’t know. I am learning as I go.”


“Ugh. This all sounds big and boring. I would rather you tell me about a secret mission or something.”


“You should be happy that we are not risking our lives…today.”


“Are you kidding? I live for that stuff.”


Nathaniel laughed and shook his head. Of course she did. Of all of his teammates, she was definitely tops in durability. He could make a case for Isis, but Isis didn’t heal like Angela.
Nathaniel soon found his mind drifting toward Isis and the others. Each of his teammates had missions as well and thoughts of their safety threatened to distract him.


The monitor lit up with an incoming message. Angela was already up and reading the message. “We have a situation.”


“Are we under attack?”


“No, it’s the Cuetation. I am putting them through.”


The barely two-foot tall man stood before them, fists clenched, eyes red. “Honorable Angela. Honorable Nathaniel. My…my egg has been kidnapped.”


“Your egg?”


Nathaniel moved quickly. “How can we help?”


“I don’t know.” He hugged himself. “The terrorist are opposed to any interaction with Union.”


“I see.” Nathaniel ran his fingers through his hair. “We are trained in stealth operations. We will leave the ship in orbit and descend in secret to assist you.”


“Thank you. You have no idea how much that means to us.”


“Think nothing of it.” Nathaniel prepared to close the channel. “We will see you in an hour.” He closed the channel.


“I guess this isn’t as simple as a golden egg.”


“Their children remain as eggs until they reach full adulthood.”


“But you know that we brought minimal gear—no weapons—no stealth equipment.”


He nodded. “I am going to summon Deragon.”



The End of Chapter One of Egg-napped
New Post, next Saturday!


You can buy my adult scifi novel Hearteless: A Journey to Second Earth @amazon or here.

For email updates, please click HERE and feel free to leave a message.

Also, feel free to comment below and follow me on Google and Twitter @ Frank_D_Rogers





 


 


 


 


 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment