Translate

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Science Fantasy Short Story {Reaper: Chapter Three Part One}



In the future, where man has traveled to the stars and beyond. There exists guilds with special abilities. Two such guilds are the guild of assassins and the guild of mages. Their laws prevent them from working together. Reaper is the story of two members of the guild, who ignored their laws and who fight for the greater good.
Genre: Science Fantasy Romance

Zion’s peace of mind was interrupted by movement—his own. By the time, he had realized, the bullet had already left the chamber, shattering something into a million pieces. He gathered himself. Bomba was on the other side of the mini-shuttle, with an energy ball in her hand. Standing beside her, was a silver woman. The image flickered. A hologram. “What are you doing?” Zion asked.
“Trying to wake you up,” Bomba said. “Who shoots in their sleep?”
“Why didn’t you just…call my name?”
“I did. I called you several times. You were in some type of trance.”
“Hibernation—it’s a chloroman thing. I would have gone insane sitting in this six meter cube, you call a ship for three days.”
“Well, it hasn’t been three days, it has been two. And I thought you warriors had all types of mental training.”
“There is no mental training that can combat boredom.” He stood up.
The hologram leaned forward and whispered. “We should have pushed him into space.” were the words formed by her lips.
Bomba ignored her and stepped forward. “Can you please put the gun back on safety?”
He spun the gun on his finger and placed it in its holster. He reached down, grabbed the other gun and his hat. “I apologize.” He holstered the other gun and through his hat in the air. It hung on a protrusion near the door. “How close are we?”
“Less than an hour. We haven’t been detected and won’t be unless I will the ship to drop its cloak.”
“Don’t. We need to enter and leave without being seen.”
She turned to the hologram. “Martha as you well know, this is Zion and Zion this is Martha.”
Martha nodded. Her body shimmered and dissipated like smoke.
“She isn’t very friendly.”
“Well,” Bomba said. “Technically you shot her too. Not exactly a good way to make friends.”
He looked down. “Could you do me a favor and check on my home?”
“Your home?”
“Yes. Could you just check to see if there was an incident since we left.”
She placed her finger on her temple. Her eyes rolled back as she did her thing.  Seconds later, she shook her head and focused on Zion. The look in her eyes said it all. “There was an explosion. No one was hurt. The southern region of the colony.”
“My home.”
“I—I am so sorry.”
“Don’t be. It was booby-trapped, probably exploded when whoever trailed you attempted to find me.”
“But you can’t possibly know—it could have been an accident.”
“No accident.”
“But why? Why would anyone come for you?”
He frowned. “You make a lot of enemies in this business. And if you are well known, you get credit for people you didn’t kill. But like you, I have a bounty on my head, and then there is the assassin’s guild. They don’t take to kindly to members of their order faking their death.”
“So what will we do?”
“We?”
“Yes, you are a member of my crew.”
Zion chuckled. “I don’t think any spell of yours will handle this.”
She folded her arms. “You would be surprised what I can do. I can summon a great dragon to defend this ship if I wanted too.”
“And yet, you can’t afford a bigger ship.”
“A small ship is necessary. You shouldn’t underestimate Martha. She is an amazing ship.” Bomba walked over to the secondary, pilot’s seat and leaned over the dash. She pressed a few buttons and the screen increased in size. She sat down in the seat and turned the co-pilot’s seat toward him. “Please sit down.”
He eased into the seat. “Comfortable.”
“Thank you. I have virtual games if you ever get bored.”
“I would prefer something a little more real.”
She looked at him and stared at him for a moment. She quickly turned away and prepared the ship for landing. “So, have you been in a Tek Nok ‘s ship before?”
“A few times. Do you guys always wear those huge gowns.”
“Huge?”
“Yes, it leaves a lot to the imagination.”
“Maybe you should spend your time working on your mental training.”
“Let the imagination fly is a type of mental training.”
She scoffed. “It is not. That would imply that you lack focus.”
“No. Distractions actually help me to focus. What about you?”
“I am just the opposite. I prefer silence and distractions tend to annoy me.”
 “You just haven’t had the right distraction,” Zion said.
She exhaled and turned to Zion. “I really don’t see what this has to do with the mission. Is this your version of small talk?”
“Yes, but you are going to have to wrap your mind around taking off that gown.”
“Zion, I will admit that I haven’t been around many humans, but I am familiar with human mating rituals, and I know that shooting a potential bedmate does not increase your chances of mating.”
Zion shrugged. “You would be surprised. Anyway, I was talking about disguising yourself. Now that someone is on our trail. It wouldn’t be wise to wear a sign around your neck that says kill me.”
A soft thud announced a successful landing. “We are here.” She stood up and marched to the door.
“So, you are just going to ignore me?”
The door opened. “We are on a roof in the dead of night. No one will see either of us.”
“No wonder you were so easily followed.” He stood up.
“What do you mean?”
“You are a creature of habit. Kiyah was too. He never understood that there was order in chaos.” He followed her out the door.
“I am sorry that I have turned your life upside down.”
“It’s not a problem.” He smiled trying his best to hide the excitement stirring in his chest. “Perhaps, I will find out who is hunting me. After all, there is no point in hiding now, I am sure half the underworld knows that I am alive.”


End of Part One of Chapter Two.
When you get a chance, check out may current novels below:


You can buy my adult scifi novel Hearteless: A Journey to Second Earth @amazon or here.



Also, feel free to comment below and follow me on Google and Twitter @ Frank_D_Rogers


Go Savant! is the link to my Young Adult Fiction Ultimate Savant.

No comments:

Post a Comment